Close All Laptops Please
Only the back half of the class may use their laptops.
Visual Communication and Interaction
When considering visual communication, think about how are we meant to interact with it. Context helps us design more effective messages.
Context of Location
In what context would you see this? Would it only be effective in this context?
Context of Content
What design principles are used in this poster? How do they help clarify the message?
Context of Time
Why might it be relevant that this was released in January? How might it be targetting readers?
What is the Context
How to Make a Stop Motion
We are using a photographic sequence to provide the illusion of movement.
- Smaller steps = smoother motion
- Use a tripod if possible
- Don't stand between light and the scene
- To reduce flicker, use your camera's manual mode
- You will be:
- Taking a series of photos to show a simple action
- You must have a minimum of 3 seconds of stop-motion
- Put the image sequence together using a tool of your choice
- Bring in the sample sequence for us to see (and confirm you have completed it)
Options to Assemble Your Images
There have been some questions on how to submit your final projects, here is a breakdown:
- Digital photography = PDF
- Text+image combinations = PDF
- Graphic narratives = PDF or physical copy
- Flipbooks = Physical copy
- Stop-motion = YouTube or Vimeo link
Please pull out any materials you have for P04.
- Explain your idea to your idea to your neighbour in 2 sentences or less
- Ask eachother to identify your position or purpose
- How does the form you have chosen influence your idea?
- How might using other forms positively or negatively influence the idea?
- How do you plan on completing the project?
For next week
- Bring P04 for feedback
- Complete participation for next week by Monday
How to Contact Andrew
- Office Hours:
- Thursdays 1:30-2:20pm outside of SSC B9201
- Tuesdays from 12:30-1:20pm on the SFU Surrey mezzanine
- Wednesdays in his office (by appointment only)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 778.782.9747
- Office: Room 2816 (SFU Surrey)